Popular Posts

Monday 21 October 2013

Leica Luxus : A Symbol Of Luxury


Anyone fancy a million dollar Leica Luxus 1? 

Here’s your chance to own one of the only ninety five pieces of the Leica Luxus 1 in the entrie world. This rare piece of camera is going to be up for bids at the Bohhams Auction in Hong Kong this coming November. 



However these Leicas are only for the rich as each piece commands a premium. Perviously, an early model, the Leica I, Prototyp 1 produced in 1923 fetched a whooping 2.16 million Euros  at a WestLicht auction in early 2012. The Prototyp 1 is so rare that a mere 25 pieces were ever made for testing and only 12 made it till today. Other Leicas were snapped up with an average of $300 to $400K Euros at this year's auction.

Just in June this year, a similar gold-plated Leica Luxus 1 from 1931 with lizard leather with two lenses was auctioned for  US$683 000 at an auction house in Vienna. 

Exotic lizard leather already cost a premium, coupled with a piece from the 1930 lizard species then seal it with gold, the  symbol of luxury and you get a very sought after item for the very rich. While I am working my arse off and trying to save and scrimp on a EOS1DX,  these are the kind of prices the rich are very much willing to fork out to lay their hands on an extraordinary and irresistable piece of art. 

These vintage Leicas would be at least 80 to 90 years old today and very much older than my grandparents. Given Leica's high quality optics, precise mechanics and excellent craftsmanship, they should at least last a few more generations. This is also the reason why each piece command such a hefty price tag; so much higher than the combined annual income of my entire office colleagues.

While I am not sure if I can ever afford one, I am certain it should have been an optimum tool for the artists at that time.  Perhaps I will snap a picture of myself holding it and sell to Shutterstock if I ever lay my hands on one.

No comments:

Post a Comment